Do not say that to me.
This is just a list of things that people say to me that really piss me off, things you should not say to someone that is living with IBD.
” It’s not that serious. “
- You’re joking right? I am in pain 24/7 with oozing ulcers in my stomach spreading along with a great deal of inflamation. I can hardly get out of bed on some days. I am on harsh medications that are considered chemo. Also, this can only get worse, I can potentially have parts taken out of me, including my colon. but no worries, it’s not serious.
” You don’t look sick. “
- Oh i’m sorry? Crohn’s is an invisible disease, you can never see when i’m in pain. My body is in a constant war with battling this disease. If I were to look like my disease, i’d probably look like a person on a death bed honestly. Us IBD-ers are very good at pretending like nothing is wrong. Just because I chose to put on make-up one day does not mean i’m not dying inside.
” I totally understand, I have periods and I had the stomach flu.”
- You understand? Do you live with a disease that feels like 5000 daggers are stabbing you in the stomach 24/7? or that maybe sometimes you have accidents because you can’t control a darn thing down there. or maybe do you have to go to the hospital to get an IV drip for 5 hours? or are you on harsh medications that kill all you’re immune system? or…. Can you not eat certain things, almost everything that makes your stomach pain worse than it already is? once you go through that, tell me you understand.
” You’re so lucky your so skinny without doing anything.”
- Well not really, my weight loss is usually because i’m in a flare-up. That causes all of my pain and lots of bloody diarrhea (oh yeah). And that means that i’m in the lou for most of my day. So that means I lose almost anything I eat by shitting it out. I also need to chose allllllll my foods carfeully so they don’t cause me to get in more pain than I am already. So don’t tell me i’m lucky, I have to bust my ass off to stay nurished.
” But you were okay yesterday. “
- That’s the thing about us IBD-ers and Crohnies, our feelings and pain can change in an instant. We do not know when a flare-up is going to come, we don’t know what pain it’s going to cause. Until you can comprehend that, please refrain from talking :)
” You use your disease as an excuse, or attention. “
- Yes, of course I do. Because I really want to go through this pain. I really want this disease. No. I’m sorry that my disease causes pain that causes me to not be able to do things. It’s not my fault. but you wouldn’t be able to understand that.
These are just some things that really make me tick when people say them to me, and i’m sure all of you with IBD can relate to these haha. If you have more be sure to comment! much love.